Dental sealants are a preventive measure commonly used in pediatric dentistry to protect children’s teeth from cavities and decay. These thin, protective coatings are applied to the chewing surfaces of molars and premolars, acting as a barrier against harmful bacteria and food particles.
Why Get Dental Sealants For Your Child?
- Defense Against Decay: Dental sealants are highly effective in preventing tooth decay, especially in the deep grooves and fissures of back teeth. These areas are prone to trapping food particles and are difficult to clean thoroughly with brushing alone. Sealants provide an additional layer of protection, reducing the risk of cavities.
- Early Intervention: Applying dental sealants at an early age is particularly beneficial. As soon as the permanent molars and premolars erupt, typically between the ages of 6 and 12, sealants can be applied to shield these vulnerable teeth from decay. Early intervention helps establish good oral health habits and prevents future dental problems.
- Quick and Painless Application: The process of applying dental sealants is simple, painless, and non-invasive. The tooth surface is thoroughly cleaned, and a thin layer of tooth-colored sealant material is painted onto the chewing surface. The sealant is then hardened with a special light, creating a durable protective shield.
- Long-Term Protection: Pediatric dental sealants provide long-lasting protection, usually lasting several years before requiring replacement. Regular dental check-ups ensure the sealants are intact and functioning effectively.
- Cost-Effective Preventive Measure: Compared to the cost of treating cavities and undergoing restorative dental procedures, dental sealants are a cost-effective preventive measure. They help save money in the long run by reducing the need for rigorous dental work.
Pediatric dental sealants play a vital role in maintaining children’s oral health. Consult with our pediatric dentists, Dr. Allen and our associates to determine if pediatric dental sealants in Glenwood Springs, Rifle and Eagle, Colorado, are suitable for your child. Call All Kids Dental Pediatrics and Orthodontics at 970-928-9500 today.