Maintaining good oral hygiene is crucial for everyone, but it becomes even more important when you or your child have braces. Braces create additional spaces and surfaces where food particles and plaque can accumulate, increasing the risk of cavities or other oral health issues. To keep your smile healthy and your orthodontic treatment on track, here are some essential tips from All Kids Dental Pediatrics and Orthodontics for oral hygiene with braces.
- Brushing Techniques: Proper brushing is vital to remove food particles and plaque. Use a soft-bristle toothbrush and angle it towards the gum line, brushing in small circular motions. Spend at least two minutes brushing your teeth and braces after each meal.
- Interdental Cleaning: Flossing becomes a bit more challenging with braces, but it is essential. Use special orthodontic floss or floss threaders to navigate between the wires and brackets, ensuring that you clean between each tooth. Alternatively, you can use a water flosser or interdental brushes for effective cleaning.
- Mouthwash Rinse: Rinse with an antimicrobial mouthwash to help reduce plaque and bacteria in hard-to-reach areas. Swish the mouthwash around your mouth for 30-60 seconds, then spit it out. Avoid mouthwashes containing alcohol, as they can cause dryness and irritation.
- Avoid Sticky and Hard Foods: Sticky and hard foods can damage your braces and make oral hygiene more challenging. Steer clear of chewing gum, caramel, hard candies and popcorn. Cut crunchy fruits and vegetables into small, bite-sized pieces.
- Regular Dental Check-ups: Schedule regular check-ups with our team to monitor your oral health and the progress of your treatment. Professional cleanings and adjustments are an important part to keeping your smile healthy and your braces well-aligned.
By following these oral hygiene tips and maintaining a consistent routine, you can ensure a healthy smile and successful orthodontic treatment for you or your child. Remember, patience and diligence are key, and do not hesitate to seek guidance from Dr. Johnson and our associates if you have any concerns or questions along the way. Have additional questions about oral hygiene with braces in Glenwood Springs, Rifle, Eagle and Aspen, Colorado? Meet with our orthodontists by scheduling a visit with us! Call 970-928-9500 today.