Have you ever considered the importance of teaching your children how to brush their teeth? If so, you are not alone. Kids grow up fast and often times we realize too late when it’s time to brush our children’s teeth. Children’s teeth are important because they set up the foundation for their larger teeth. The first few years, you may need to brush their teeth for them, and as they grow they may need encouragement to help them learn oral health care skills.
That is why our office here at All Kids Dental Pediatrics & Orthodontics in Glenwood Springs, Rifle, and Eagle, Colorado, is happy to give you some simple tips and tricks to teach your children how to care for their smile properly. These tips include:
– Brushing your child’s teeth should begin as soon as the first tooth appears above the gum line, which typically occurs between 6-10 months of age.
– Your child’s diet is vital, not only for their oral health, but for their physical and mental evolution as well.
– Bacteria can effortlessly be passed to your child through brushing utensils or other objects that you share with your child, so try to avoid sharing products between uses until they have been cleaned.
– The child’s first visit to their pediatrician for an oral examination should happen before they turn 1 years old to help them get accustom to their dentist.
– Try to make sure your child’s toothpaste has been approved by their pediatrician or has the ADA Seal of Acceptance from the American Dental Association.
– For children under 3 years old, use a rice-sized portion of toothpaste, and for children 3 to 6 years old, use a pea-sized portion of toothpaste.
As you can see, there are many things you can consider when it comes to teaching your child how to brush their teeth. If you still have questions, or would like to learn more about your child’s dental care, please call us today at 970-928-9500 to set up an appointment with a member of our friendly staff. Dr. Casey W. Johnson, Matthew J. Burt, & Paul H. Allen is always happy to help assist you and your smile in any way possible.